Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 08:32:46 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu
Subject:   Re: IPX Gateway using FreeBSD

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 01:53:20PM -0700, Igor B. Bykhalo wrote:
> >On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Oscar Bonilla wrote:
> >> Would it be possible to access an internal novell server (using IPX)
> >> from a Win95 machine that connects to the FreeBSD box using the modem
> >> and PPP?
>
> Oscar, if you are still interested, try one of Boris Popov's pages:
>
> http://dixi.8m.com/
> http://www.butya.kz/~bp
>
> They contain some useful how-to's on setting up IPX for FreeBSD.
> I'll put also some relevant parts from my rc.conf at the end
> of this message.

From Boris's Pages:

  " One major limitation [of FreeBSD's IPX] is a support for only
    Ethernet_II frame. "

> >Doug White wrote:
> >I don't know if FreeBSD PPP supports IPX or not.  I'm guessing no, since
>
> So am I. Maybe Brian Somers can shed some light on this...

I guess you both guessed right :)

> >> I have no experience whatsoever using IPX, and for what I've heard,
> > IPX is not ever routable.
> >
> >It's routable, but it sucks to route since it doesn't have a strict idea
> >of concepts like subnets.
>
> Hmmm... Probably I got this wrong, but what I have:
>
> <<From /etc/rc.conf>>
>
> network_interfaces="ep0 ep1 ep2 lo0 sl0"
> [...]
> ifconfig_ep0_ipx="ipx aaaa0000"
> ifconfig_ep1_ipx="ipx bbbb0000"
> ifconfig_ep2_ipx="ipx cccc0000"
> [...]
> ipxgateway_enable="YES"         # Set to YES to enable IPX routing.
> ipxrouted_enable="YES"          # Set to YES to run the IPX routing daemon.
> ipxrouted_flags="-s"            # Flags for IPX routing daemon.
> ipxnetbios_enable="YES"         # YES to enable sharing under IPX.
> [...]
>
> Note last line - I added it by myself (with the corresponding
> entry in /etc/rc.network) to enable disks/printers sharing
> between my different Ethernet segments in the mixed Win3x/Win9x/WinNT
> workstations LAN (sigh...).
>
> >Your bigger problem is that the dialup link does not support IPX.
>
> It seems true... What a pity for you 8-(

It's only too true... well the other alternative was to configure TCP/IP
on the novell server. I'll talk to the guy that manages that machine and
ask him to do it.

Thanks a lot folks for all your help! and just to finish the thread...

Altough IPX is a (somewhat) routable protocol and FreeBSD can manage to
act as an IPX router between two networks, the only support that exists
at this time is for Ethernet frames.

Regards,

-Oscar