Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 2002 00:12:01 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Vahe Khachikyan <vahe@fh-konstanz.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq-CC, the next steps....

Quoting Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>:

> Am Son, 2002-07-07 um 23.01 schrieb Terry Lambert:
>
> > If you wanted to build everything, one at a time, to see what could
> > be built, then all you'd have to do is set it in /etc/make.conf.
> 8-).
>
> I think that will get you into deep trouble unless you do in on a
> machine which is only ment for testing. I tried to compile libogg and
> libvorbis with the ccc - at first it looked really good an did install
> flawless. But when I then tried install ports depending on one of the
> libs (can't remember exactly which) I got errors because of missing
> .so's. So, some real testing will be needed.

This is another problem well known as libtool problem !
The libtool doesn't expect the ccc as a compiler which is able to
produce shared libraries. Or it looks for some special flags to use
with ccc to produce position independant code and there are no
such flags cause either CCC produces such a code in any case or there
is nothing special about it on Alpha architecture
(not sure anymore what it was...)
There was patch once uppon a time posted in this list which
helped to solve the problem. However the way was a little bit tricky
cause a lot of sources are packed with a version of libtool so to
make the things working you should always replace the original libtool
with the patched one .....
And even after that there were some problems, in my case I was playing
with Apache-PHP, shared libraries produced were somehow broken.
Once or twice I solved the problem and got the Apache-mod_ssl-PHP
compiled with ccc working. But then some change in Apache source
made it broken against ccc and I just have had no more time to
investigate the problem.

> So far I have build and checked four ports (wget, emboss, mmosaic,
> rxvt)
> and they seem to work well. But only emboss seems to be worth it,
> since
> it has some pretty FP intensive programs. What ports are most worth
> compiling with ccc? Floating point intesive one are top priority, I
> guess - which would that be?

There is another advantage against gcc. Not only the increased speed in FP
due to libcpml but also the optimisation in whole code.
The optimisation of ccc works!

Everytime after make world I rebuild the openssl manually with ccc,
After that openssl and all other programs using libcrypto and libssl
are working at least 30% faster !!

--
Vahe
---