Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 16:23:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        goten@sduteam.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Email aliasing

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Goten wrote:

>    I just wonder if FreeBsd able to support unlimted aliasing email
> address for the virtual host?  For example, my domain name is
> www.abc.com and I have an pop3 email account webmaster@abc.com.  And my
> virtual host has a domain name call www.xyz.com.  Is it able to create
> webmaster@xyz.com for my virtual host?  And how to do it.  Thanks for
> reply.

	for inbound mail use the virtualusertable supported by
	sendmail 8.8.  "feature virtusertable".  look at the readme
	in sendmail/cf/README.

	database lookups in the virtusertable are recursive.
	ruleset 0 invokes the virtusertable code, then calls
	ruleset 3 and ruleset 0 on the result...you can
	go up to 50 levels deep before sendmail stops the
	recursion.

from sendmail/cf/README

virtusertable   A domain-specific form of aliasing, allowing multiple
                virtual domains to be hosted on one machine.  For example,
                if the virtuser table contained:

                        info@foo.com    foo-info
                        info@bar.com    bar-info
                        @baz.org        jane@elsewhere.net

                then mail addressed to info@foo.com will be sent to the
                address foo-info, mail addressed to info@bar.com will be
                delivered to bar-info, and mail addressed to anyone at
                baz.org will be sent to jane@elsewhere.net.  All the host
                names on the left hand side (foo.com, bar.com, and baz.org)
                must be in $=w.  The default map definition is:

                        hash -o /etc/virtusertable

                A new definition can be specified as the second argument of
                the FEATURE macro.

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler      FreeBSD Core Team, Postmaster       jmb@FreeBSD.ORG