Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 06:09:13 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Andrey Simonenko <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>, Henrik Hudson <lists@rhavenn.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot0cfg?

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:31:18 +0200 (EET), Andrey Simonenko
<simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:55:24 +0000 (UTC) in lucky.freebsd.questions,
> Henrik Hudson wrote:
>

>> I read the man page for boot0cfg and although that seems to be able to
>> install boot0 into various places, it doesn't seem to let one modify
>> what boot0 displays???
>>

> You should modify source file.  Look at /sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.s
> (for i386).  I'm not sure that there is free space in boot0, check this.
> If there is free space in boot0, then you can modify it.
>
> If boot0 doesn't have free space, then you can remove some file
> system names from boot0.s and add names you need.
>
> You should make modification of boot0 code very _carefully_ and test
> boot0 with the _floppy_.  And double check that boot0 actually can't
> understand your file system, check if boot0.s doesn't have partition id
> in tables: (look at the end of boot0.s).

If you don't want to play with source files, try /usr/ports/sysutils/grub.
It is excellent (though it doesn't grok booting from RAID volumes except in
limited circumstances) and very configurable, but read the documentation
very carefully.  I am not a fan of GNU info pages; if you aren't either,
you may want to take a look at the online documentation at the Grub website
before installing it.

BTW, it isn't that boot0 doesn't understand the Windows filesystems, it's
that the same basic filesystems are used by other OSs as well as multiple
versions of Windows, and boot0 doesn't have room for all the possible
names.  (Bootloaders with menus, like the NT/2K/XP bootloader or Grub, do
the menuing outside the bootloader code.)

Jud