Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 00:21:11 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfw forwarding

Hiyas,

I am hoping someone will be able to to tell me what im doing
wrong with this forwarding rules... And dont anyone complain
that this should go to a different list or there will be trouble :P

Anyway here is what I am trying to do...
I have a FreeBSD box as my gateway / firewall so it has an external
ip and internal lan ip (naturally), I am using nat for internet access...
My gateway is an old p166 with 250mb hdd, so its not practical to run
any servers on it, this is why I want to forward connections to certain
ports to other systems in the local lan...

Ok, so I have another FreeBSD box running a server on port 27015/udp
and I put a rule in my ipfw list saying "${fwcmd} 600 fwd 10.0.0.4 udp from
any to any 27015" this seems like it should do the job, and when I connect
from the outside a "ipfw -at l" shows that the rule was hit, yet on the
system the data was meant to be forwarded to nothing comes... I have tested
with netcat to see if anything comes, but nothing dose and the activity lights
on the nic never flash...

So I figure since everything works fine inside the network I must be using
the fwd rule wrong or something... I dont really want to use any of those
redirection thingys like plug-gw, I am hoping to just use the fwd rule? Or
do I have to use some sort of udp forwarding program?

Thanks, any help or comments would be good :)
Kal.