Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 23:40:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ABIT KT7 and temp monitoring

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

> > healthd works fine on systems that use supported monitoring chips.
> > Unfortunately the number of chips that healthd supports is pretty small
> > compared to monitoring tools on other platforms, e.g. Motherboard Monitor on
> > Windows or LM Sensors on Linux.
>
> Which says to me that the interface should be abstracted out.
> Something like a device driver that presents a /dev device that
> you can read or ioctl to get the information in a somewhat chip-
> independent fashion.

I've toyed with this idea (actually, I've implemented it for BSD/OS 4.x
using the sysctl interface). However, there are two problems with it
that made me drop the project for the time being.

First of all, putting it in the kernel means a rigid interface, not to
mention the associated bloat and near-constant kernel updates as new
chips get glued to motherboards (and wired in new an innovative ways).

Second, the user needs to define what sensor means what anyway, because
of the ease of miswiring, and because a broken fan is indistinguisable
from a nonexistant fan, which means a config file must be used anyway.

Finally, none of the monitoring chips I've seen can be detected
reliably. The ones attached to the ISA bus can be checked for sanity
with some confidence (the W83781D has a one byte id), but scanning the
I2C bus can easily lock a motherboard (I think that that's what's
causing my Intel board to act up when the ichsmb driver gets added to
the kernel).

Cheers,

				-- Bert
--
Bert Driehuis -- driehuis@playbeing.org -- +31-20-3116119
If the only tool you've got is an axe, every problem looks like fun!