Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:59:42 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: named questions

[email already sent to Stan, but I missed the list]

On 19 Jan 99, at 22:56, Stan Brown wrote:

>  i want to run named in secondary mode, and add a machine or 2 to the
>  DNS at work. Obviously this will only work for machines that use this
>  amchine as the nameserver. That's prettty much what I want.
>
>  Question, will this work?

Ummm, if your machine is disignated as the secondary name server for the
domains in question, your machine will be referred to by any machine that,
for whatever reason, can't reach the primary name server.  A given domain
has at least two name servers, normally referred to as the primary and
secondary.  A domain can have more than one secondary server.

>  2nd question, is there a script to crate the database for named, given
>  an /etc/hosts file as input?

No script that I know of.  I do mine by hand.  See my website for details.
 Look at the topics page, then DNS.  Hope it helps.  Cheers.

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary