Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 07:34:39 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        "Davis, Kimberly" <KDavis@palmerdodge.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.org'" <FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Additional Copyright Notices in Source Files

On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 08:21:09AM -0500, Davis, Kimberly wrote:
> ... Or
> does the existence of the other copyright notices in the source files mean
> that our client must also obtain the permission of those copyright holders
> in order to further modify and distribute that version of the software?

Yes.  If there are multiple copyrights, which do not explicitly
follow the terms of the "BSD" license, you will need the permission
of the various copyright holders if whatever you plan to do falls
outside the scope of their license.

The entire FreeBSD kernel is under a "BSD" license, AFAIK.  But
other portions of code are not; e.g.: softupdates, gcc, and so forth.
These have slightly different licenses.

As usual, see a lawyer first; also, what you've said so far is
petty vague, so it's difficult to tell if what you're planning
to do is or is not covered by the existing license.
--
Jonathan