Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 22:52:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP code wiz?

> Is there any trivially easy way to make sure keepalive is set on all
> sockets on a given machine?  I'm having a hellacious time on my FTP server
> with sessions just hanging around until the end of time.
>
> Thinking that it may be useful for other services as well, (nnrp, pop),
> etc, a global patch or a sysctl variable would be keenest.
>
> Has anybody done this?  Anybody want to make a few bucks doing this?

Hi Jaye,

I did this, I submitted "sysctl" patches against 2.1R, and I don't think
anyone ever committed or did anything with them, because sysctl had
"changed" and I didn't have a -current system to hack on.

I can probably dig up the patches, if you are interested, if you are willing
to go Round Two of getting them integrated into FreeBSD's -current tree..
it is running on several of my machines.

(If I sound a little exasperated, I am, since one in ten little feature
patches I submit actually get applied, and it's been a really crappy week,
and my tolerance is at an all time low).

If you want to send me a few bucks that's fine too.  I run a free public
access UNIX system that is always short on resources.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968