Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:17:22 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xcb-util

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2012, at 2:51 PM, ajtiM wrote:
>> FreeBSD 9.0 is out, many people updated, new installation...KDE 4.7.4 is
>> coming in the ports (I hope no) and now all this reinstallation for xcb-=
util.
>> Is it not possible to synchronized a little with the other ports?
>
> You're the one managing your machine(s). =C2=A0If you want a package syst=
ems which releases less frequently than FreeBSD ports are updated, then eit=
her do not update your ports as rapidly, or consider switching to something=
 like pkgsrc from NetBSD.

Alternatively, switch to using pre-built, binary packages via the -P
and -PP switches to portmaster/portupgrade, or even pkg_upgrade (from
the sysutils/bsdadminscripts port).

>> I need to reinstall about 300 ports (KDE, Firefox, libxul, GIMP...).
>> It is to much...
>
> Why do you need to reinstall?

Perhaps because he just completed an upgrade from 8.x to 9.0?  While
there are ways to mitigate the need for awhile (misc/compat8x, leaving
old libraries around, various switches to portmaster/portupgrade to
keep old versions of libs in /usr/local/compat, etc), eventually, one
should reinstall all ports when upgrading between major versions of
FreeBSD.

However, one has the option of scheduling when that rebuilt/reinstall
occurs.  If you know a new version of X, KDE, Firefox are coming down
the pipe soon, then why not wait until those major updates hit the
ports tree?  And then do everything all at once? Rather than
reinstalling everything after the 8->9 upgrade, and then again for
libxcb, then again for KDE, then again for Port X, Port Y, etc, etc,
etc.

Just because a new version hits the ports tree, doesn't mean you have
to rush right out, this second, and upgrade to it.  :)

--=20
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com