Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 2015 08:55:56 +0800
From:      Gavin Mu <gavin.mu@qq.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "virtualization@FreeBSD.org" <virtualization@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: anyone used AliYun cloud?

This is a little long story... We have one product based on FreeBSD, and som=
eones thought it is difficult to deploy on some popular clouds, especially i=
n China, such as QingCloud and Aliyun, all provide Linux and Windows images b=
ut not FreeBSD.

First I tried on QingCloud, who uses KVM, and FreeBSD can run, but it failed=
 to be saved as an image. =46rom the communication with QingCloud engineers,=
 I knew they use guestfs and can not recognize UFS filesystem.

Several days ago, I tried Aliyun, who use Xen. FreeBSD can run also, and can=
 also be saved as an image, but VM provisioning failed. Their engineer told m=
e that the file system has been changed and can not work.

Later I tried to make a dual OS image, with 2GB Ubuntu on ext2 as the first M=
BR primary partition, and the second one as FreeBSD, VM provisioning can wor=
k now.

I believe the ext2 partition can be reduced, but it must be very careful to n=
ot break VM provisioning.

Both QingCloud and Aliyun use the technology to write the initial configurat=
ions to guest file system during VM provisioning, the difference is QingClou=
d do checks when saving images, and Aliyun not. I am planning to try QingClo=
ud again with the dual OS solution.

We have also built an internal channel with Aliyun guys recently, but they d=
id not tell the release date for FreeBSD support (business reason maybe).

Regards,
Gavin Mu

> On May 31, 2015, at 23:41, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>> On 5/31/15 6:06 PM, Gavin Mu wrote:
>> They use guestfs to do VM provisioning, and FreeBSD support is not ready t=
o public yet.
>>=20
>> If FreeBSD must be used, one workaround is to keep the first MBR partitio=
n as Linux ext2, and write some scripts to read configurations from Linux.
>=20
> thanks..
> Firstly, How do you know this? (I don't disbelieve it, I just want to know=
 where you learned this information so I can look there too for more informa=
tion).
> Secondly, is your comment "is not ready to public yet" talking about  gues=
tfs or aliyun? and can you expand on "yet"?
>=20
> Julian
>=20
>>=20
>> Regards,
>> Gavin Mu
>>=20
>>> On May 31, 2015, at 13:43, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Aliyun cloud is alibaba's amazon cloud competitor. Also uses Xen.
>>> They offer Linux and windows of course but nothing in FreeBSD.
>>> Has anyone looked at it?  It's coming up with $JOB as a question vs Free=
BSD.