Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 16:18:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with Sendmail/DNS

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Dan Busarow wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Dave Babler wrote:
> > > orionsys.com.        IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
> > > rigel.orionsys.com.  IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
> > > altair.orionsys.com. IN MX 10 altair.orionsys.com.
> >                                 ^^^^^^
> > But doesn't this make anything addressed to altair go directly -TO-
> > altair immediately?
>
> Yes it does, if you want rigel to send mail to altair it has to
> be this way. (you could turn DNS off on rigel and play lots of
> games to avoid the MX to altair but it would be painful).
>
> Just don't allow out going mail to include "altair" in the address.
> Make sure all outgoing mail shows as coming from user@orionsys.com
> and that Reply-To: is set the same.
>
> Bounces and such will go directly to altair, but they're supposed to
> anyway.  Normal mail will go through rigel.

It looks like I'm hosed then, host altair is just for testing. The REAL
desired operation is:

	mail to orionsys.com	    -> rigel -> bbs.orionsys.com
	mail to bbs.orionsys.com    -> rigel -> bbs.orionsys.com
	mail to rigel.orionsys.com  -> rigel
	mail to altair.orionsys.com -> rigel -> altair...

I just didn't want to experiment with a live system and lose everybody's
email. The filtering/relay is only intended for inbound mail, each host
can send directly and if contacted by name instead of using MX records,
each host would accept mail. I've tried class "w" (and not), using
virtusertable (and not), using mailertable (and not) and nothing delivers
mail, it just bounces with various error messages to the sender or
complains of the MX loop (without the class "w").

-Dave