Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 23:18:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        John Spence <spence@senet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook - ascii form??

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, John Spence wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 1997 22:42:18 -0700 (PDT),  Annelise Anderson
> <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> >My point was that users ought not to have to process the handbook
> >with tools that they may not have or may not know how to use.  If
> >it's such a piece of cake, why not do it and get the results on
> >the server?
>
> That would make too much sense. It will never happen.
>
> I had to convert the handbook the first time I looked at FreeBSD about
> 5 months ago.  I had to convert the handbook the second time I looked
> at FreeBSD only a few days ago.

I tried converting the ps version to ascii, but it didn't come out too
well.

John Fieber has posted an html version broken into chapters (so there
aren't too many of them--20 some, I think) at

http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber/hb1/BOOK-0001.html

and I got a couple of chapters I wanted--kernel configuration and
printing--and printed them from Netscape, and they look great.  This
preserves the formatting.  I wish he's combine some of the shorter
chapters so there are only 5 or 6 blocks to download and print....and
thus a minimum of "next" and "previous" garbage.

Oh well.

	Annelise