Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 15:11:21 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Andriss <andriss@argate.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin, sbin, another bin...

Andriss wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I installed 2.2.7-release, and everything seems
> working fine, though I have a question about the
> directories where all binaries are put in.
>
> >From what I understand there are these dirs:
> /bin
> /sbin
> /usr/bin
> /usr/sbin
> /usr/local/bin
> /usr/local/sbin
>
> My question is, why so many? what is the reason for
> keeping all these dirs, instead of, say, one?
>
> Is it because /bin and /usr/bin are on different
> slices, so that /bin sits on root slice?
> If so, what is /sbin?
>
> I know this is not a real practical question, but
> I just want to see the logic of file placement
> in UNIX.

	Read 'man hier' it will answer a lot of your questions. :)  Part of the
logic is that if you give users access to certain filesystems (say, on
/usr) and they hose them up, the sysadmin can use the tools in /bin and
/sbin to repair the damage because users have no write access to those
areas, therefore they cannot muck them up. :)

Welcome to unix,

Doug (which is not an acronym BTW, so unix or Unix is correct, UNIX is
not)
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

At Barry (a small town in south Wales) hidden cameras have had to be
installed to keep watch on the town's CCTV [Closed Circuit Television]
to record acts of vandalism against the CCTV. - Privacy Forum