Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:36:09 -0700
From:      Michael Oski <oski@jps.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0BETA install problem

I realize this message doesn't have squat for details, but I thought I
should mention it since it could be a *real* problem.

I was trying to install the 3.0-BETA-19980925 snapshot on a Compaq
Deskpro 2000 PII/233. I ftp'd the entire snapshot to a DOS partition
(C:\FreeBSD) and gen'd the boot.flp from there.

During the installation, it tried to mount wd0s3 (I assume the DOS
partition) as /dist but failed with an unsupported media error of some
sort - hence, the lack of details - I didn't write the thing down :-(

I tried the same method with the 3.0-BETA-19980923 and 3.0-BETA-19980927
snapshots and got the same error.

I worked around the problem by ftp'ing the snapshot to an AIX server I
have and installed via ftp from it. (I can't install via ftp directly
from ftp.freebsd.org due to bizarre firewall & DNS issues - don't
ask...)

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it in case someone has the inclination to
test an install from a DOS partition and verify that it this was
actually some sort of brain fart of mine and not a *real* problem.

MO!