Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 08:47:03 -0600
From:      Allan Ross <allanr@ssimicro.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   upgrade from 2.2.8 ->3.1 and master.passwd

I just did a CVS upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3.-stable. We'll skip the fun =
with the change from a.out to ELF and get right on to what the problem =
is now.  Everything seems to be working properly except that any login =
other than root runs /sbin/nologin. I have tried changing the shell, =
adding a new account, deleting and recreating a user id, all without =
success. The weird thing is that if I type an incorrect password in, it =
refuses the login, but the correct password is accepted?.and then =
NOLOGIN! Is there a security setting somewhere that has disabled all =
account but root?

Allan Ross
allanr@ssimicro.com

no fancy email tag :-)