Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 17:13:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        lfloyd@sonic.net
Cc:        Hello@aol.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hello

L. Floyd wrote:
> !!!!!
>
> What's with the spam???

Many technical lists have been "harvested" by spammers in the
last six months.

The only solution is to restrict list posts to subscribers. This
would do a disservice to some though.  I put up with a bit of this
filth, and always try to whack the spammer somehow. (When you get
the letter back from "abuse", ("This luser is cancelled.") you get to
notch your monitor).

> I think whoever sent the spam should get a "significant letter" from
> AOL, telling them they no longer have an account!

Followed by a spanking.

> - Larry
>

> Hello@aol.com wrote:
> >
> >   LOOK AT THIS
> >
> > THIS MAY BE THE MOST SIGNIFICANT LETTER YOU RECEIVE THIS YEAR  !!

This spamboy is probably spoofing the from line, and does not have an AOL account.

The headers tell more:

          by hub.freebsd.org (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id IAA20075
          for <questions@freebsd.org>; Tue, 12 May 1998 08:29:19 -0700 (PDT)
          (envelope-from Hello@aol.com)

Since this header was added by "our" mail hub, it is probably more
reliable that an easy-to-spoof From: line.

Compaints should be addressed to mtl.istar.ca or somewhere in that domain.

Also, since the spammer is running a paper-mail chain letter, he should
be referred to the US postal service, and to whoever handles that in
Canada, probably the R.C.M.P.

This post of mine here has a forged From: line, that points to my
true and righteous Email address (djv@bedford.net), not to the
user and machine that I am using at the moment (listread@castor.loco.net),
which is a box on my RFC-1918 local network.

Dave