Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 22:38:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        mranner@inode.at
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My wi(4) ate itself (or Fun with no memory).

In message: <200212302328.46783.mranner@inode.at>
            Michael Ranner <mranner@inode.at> writes:
: Am Montag, 30. Dezember 2002 23:10 schrieb Lee Damon:
: > I have the same problems on an IBM T30 with integrated wi running
: > 4.7-STABLE. In fact, I've had this problem since 4.5 (which is where I
: > started on this system.)
:
: I think the "wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0000; event status 0x8000"
: messages started around 4.4, 4.5 or so. With my old FreeBSD 4 I had no
: "visible" problems, but after upgrading to 4.7 I have tons of wi_timeout's
:
: I fixed it with:
:
: 1359c1359
: <               DELAY(WI_DELAY);
: ---
: >               /*DELAY(WI_DELAY);*/

This delay is needed on far too many cards to just delete it.

: 1363,1364c1363,1364
: <               device_printf(sc->dev, "timeout in wi_seek to %x/%x; last
: status %x\n",
: <                       id, off, status);
: ---
: >               /*device_printf(sc->dev, "timeout in wi_seek to %x/%x; last
: status %x\n",
: >                       id, off, status);*/

this isn't a fix.

: The big problem was the "DELAY", because this call freezes the system and that
: was not acceptable for a router, but I also increased the value of the
: surrounding loop.

The big problem is that we have a horrible reset policy in the wi
driver.  When it gets into this state, we're screwing the system into
the ground in the driver.

Warner