Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:26:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mike@seidata.com
To:        "N. N.M" <madrapour@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Again logging!

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, N. N.M wrote:

> 1- I installed TCP Wrapper in the way that I moved the real daemons to
> another directory and copied "tcpd" instead of real daemons. I don't
> know how I can get it's logs. I add a line to log the messages from
> "tcpd" to a file. But it didn't work.

Default install dumps to /var/log/messages for me - what do you mean
by 'get it's logs'?

> 2- I don't know the difference between running  "inetd" with switch "-l"
> and without it.

Assuming 'man inetd' is correct:

"When given the -l option inetd will log an entry to syslog each time
an accept(2) is made, which notes the service selected and the
IP-number of the remote requestor."

> 3- Will it affect the system performance if I activate the logging of
> TCP and UDP connections by setting the following kernel variables?:
> net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain=1
> net.inet.udp.log_in_vain=1

Not sure, I don't do this.  First guess would be, "Yes."  I'm sure
others here will have definate answers for this.

Later,

	-mike