Date:      Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:27:34 -0900
From:      Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
To:        Huynh Van Chung <hvcjapan@yahoo.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug in hme interface MAC address!

On 2/2/2005 7:08 AM, Ken Smith wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:47:35AM +0100, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
>
>>As Huynh Van Chung wrote:
>>
>>>In my box (Ultra 10, 333 Modern) with 2 NICs (hme), both of 2 nics
>>>get the same Mac address.
>>
>>That's a feature, not a bug.
>
> It's consistent with the way Solaris handles things.  Before the days
> of VLAN switches I called it a feature, now I call it a bug.

I know that the standard method of dealing with this is to set

	local-mac-address?=true

in the OBP.  However, I seem to recall someone saying that setting it
wasn't working for someone under FreeBSD a while back.  I don't remember
if this was a bug or a feature.  I think that Doug White said something
at the time about forcing a specific MAC address with:

ifconfig_hme1="ether 0a:0:20:00:aa:bb"

This conflicted with DHCP, if I recall correctly: you couldn't put "DHCP"
and "ether" statement into one rc.conf line or ifconfig statement.
I'd have to dig to see what the workaround was.

-royce

Royce D. Williams                                  - IP Engineering, ACS
personal: [first]@alaska.net                    - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531
work: [first.last]@acsalaska.net           - http://www.tycho.org/royce/