Date:      Sun, 21 May 1995 08:22:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao)
Cc:        bugs@ns1.win.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4gig drive for $10997

>     Good point... I'm compiling a list of reasons why FreeBSD makes a
> better Web server platform than a really pricey machine running
> Solaris or IRIX or HP/SUX.  ;-)  Do you know if any of those support
> 64-bit offsets in their filesystems?  How about Linux?

Of course there's always OSF/1. And the Alpha is a *really* nice CPU. And
OSF/1 is about the most BSD-ish workstation platform yet... I've used the
FreeBSD source as a reference to help resolve some problems with OSF/1...
including installing programs from the CDROM into /usr/bin over the DEC stuff.

Ah, 64 bit longs.

IMHO, the original BSD port to the VAX should have made a long 64 bits. So
what if the hardware doesn't support 64 bit longs directly? The PDP-11 doesn't
support 32 bit longs directly either. Long was suppoed to be for the cases
where the natural int on the machine wasn't big enough. It doesn't *matter*
if it's more expensive, that's better than having it be impossible.

(grump) Just something I've been griping about for the past 15 years. Put it
on your lists for FreeBSD 3.0 and to hell with the portability problems. It's
only 15 years late in coming...