Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 23:42:42 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <iceberg@pobox.com>
To:        "Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@telerama.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.1 Dual Boot Problems

> I can not boot W98 or FreeBSD. I tried to re-install 4.1 over and
> over and over but no matter what I tried I could not get 4.1 to
> write the boot loader to the mbr.  [snip] As I expected FreeBSD 4.0
> did indeed install the multiple O/S boot loader.  This time when I
> installed 4.1 I told it NOT to install a boot loader and, when the
> install was finished, I was able to boot W98 or FreeBSD with the 4.0
> boot loader program.
>
> What is wrong with 4.1 that it will not install the bootloader
> program to the mbr?  Is this happening to anyone else?

I didn't have any trouble.  But, then again, somebody else may have.

> Can I boot from the "official" CD's that I got from Walnut Creek?

Yes, with a sufficiently new computer.

> How?

It's an option in the BIOS/CMOS setup.  Wherever you would go to, say,
make the hard drive boot first instead of the floppy drive, there
should be an option to boot from the ATAPI CD-ROM first.  This only
exists on computers younger than about two or three years.

> If I can boot from the CD's, can I force the the re-write of the
> multiple O/S boot loader to be written to the mbr?

Yes.

> How?

Boot from the first CD.  Then choose the FIXIT option from
sysinstall.  Insert the second CD when it asks, and jump over to the
fixit shell with <Alt>-<F4>.  From the shell, mount your FreeBSD drive

  # mount /dev/ad0s2 /mnt

or whatever.  Then, you can refresh the MBR with

  # chroot /mnt
  # mount -a
  # /usr/sbin/boot0cfg -Bv ad0

Of course, check boot0cfg(8) for details.  The `mount -a' step is, of
course, unnecessary if your /usr is on the same partition as /.

Lucas
--
                             S. Lucas Bergman
                             Northwestern University