Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:08:55 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netgraph/atm

Julian Elischer wrote:

> Alex Pilosov wrote:
> >
> > I'm beginning to look into implementing ATM rfc1483 bridging with freebsd.

Cool.

> > Here's my plan:
> > rfc1483 node would output 802.3 ethernet frames, extracted from that VC
>
> yep.. If that's what rfc1483 (the rfc) treats as input and output.

Actually RFC1483 has four "flavors", two of which support "bridging"
of complete 802.3 ethernet frames including the MAC addresses - either
encapsulated with an LLC/SNAP header or "raw" with just a two byte
(0x00, 0x00) pad for alignment purposes.  Another flavor removes the
MAC addresses, prepends a 6-byte LLC/OUI header, and preserves the
EtherType and the rest of the frame.  The other flavor just routes
a PDU (raw packet with no MAC addressses or EtherType) across a VC
(ATM virtual channel) with no encapsulation at all.

Alex - if you intend to make your code public, and if you feel
ambititious, it would be nice if you could support all four flavors
of RFC1483.  Then we could replace our Win2000 server with a FreeBSD
server for testing our DSL implementations of RFC1483...   ;-)
Don't do this just for me, as our implementations are pretty much
done, so we don't do much testing anymore.  But if you want to
be complete...  Just a suggestion...

Gary