Date:      Sat, 24 May 1997 15:00:28 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        Angelo Turetta <ATuretta@stylo.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Named -- Specifying addresses to bind to

On Fri, May 23, 1997 at 09:53:47PM +0200, Angelo Turetta wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >We've got a bit of a problem with a named process.  We run named on
> >our virtual web server (now FreeBSD2.2.2).
> >

> Out of topic:
>
> Can you briefly tell me how did you update your system, and what version
> you were running before?
> I'm running 2.1-RELEASE and an old 2.2-SNAP on two different systems
> that I would like to upgrade to 2.2.2-RELEASE.
> Do you advise recompiling all the system from an updated source tree, or
> reinstalling from a binary distribution ?

Depends really.  I chose a CVSUP, followed by a make world and installed
the new stuff in /etc (from /usr/src/etc) by hand, checking each file
carefully.  I then rebuilt the kernel and rebooted.  This was mainly because
the server currently supports 128 virtual web servers and another hundred
sites under it's main IP address.  I didn't fancy having much down time.

The machine was previously running RELENG_2_1_0, which at the time was
2.1.7.1.  I used CVsup to update to RELENG_2_2 and did a make world.
One thing to be careful of is that the 'make world' can make so of the old
libraries either non-functional, or disappear altogether, and so it's a good
idea to make a copy of /usr/lib before you start.  If whilst you're building
the system any running process complains that it can't find a particular
library you can suspend the make and run 'ldconfig', (or run it in another
window).  This will make the operating system update its idea of which
libraries are available.  If the library it's looking for doesn't exist
in /usr/lib anymore you can copy it in before running the ldconfig.
(In my case on another machine libgnumalloc went missing, and the running
process was linked against it.)

One last thing.  As the make world replaces the libraries, you'll find
things like 'ps' and 'top' stop working.  I think that this is because the
internal structure of the process tables have changed between releases.
When I installed the new kernel and rebooted everything was fixed.  I tell
you because it can be a bit of a panic inducer finding that you can't see
what's going on.  Other than that it didn't seem to cause any major problems
with the processes that were running at the time.

Good luck.  Let me know if you need anything.
Joe
--
Josef Karthauser
Technical Manager       Email: joe@pavilion.net