Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 02:15:29 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>
To:        portmgr@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thoughts about ports freeze

Folks,

Unfortunately I did not have a much time lately for devoting to FreeBSD,
so that I've missed discussion that lead to hard-freezing ports tree for
about a month, but probably it isn't too late to reconsider or modify
this decision.

Personally I think, that while pushing 5.0 out of the door is very
important thing to do, but having it stumbled on the way of STABLE/RELEASE
users is not good at all. Personally I've heard many complains from the
local community about popular ports not being updated in time, as
they used to. And I don't have a single good argument to reply to those
complains with - users usually don't care about 5.0, but they do care
about their 4.x production machines receiving latest updates and fixes,
and the current situation pisses them off.

Perhaps we could just branch out current state of the tree and unlock
it for normal use, while allow to commit onto the RE branch only after
getting portmgr's approval. What we are currently trying to do is
to mimic techiques used for src tree (long freeze), but IMO this
approach is inappropriate for ports, because they are fundamentally
different - the former is slow moving-target, while the latter is
fast-moving one.

What do people think?

-Maxim