Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:48:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, abush@microcenter.com
Subject:   Re: tuning network limits?

Aaron Bush <abush@microcenter.com> wrote:
 > [...]
 > tosh# netstat -m
 > 623/2304/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
 >         263 mbufs allocated to data
 >         360 mbufs allocated to packet headers
 > 239/1024/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
       ^^^^^^^^^
 > 2624 Kbytes allocated to network (85% of mb_map in use)
 > 9152 requests for memory denied
 > 3 requests for memory delayed
 > 0 calls to protocol drain routines
 >
 > What other tools can i use to determine where the problem may be.

The line marked above is exactly your problem.
Either compile a larger number of NMBCLUSTERS into your
kernel, or use the appropriate loader.conf option to set
the value at boot time.

By the way, you're lucky -- Earlier versions of FreeBSD
tended to panic sometimes when the mbuf limit was hit.  ;-)

Regards
   Oliver