Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:03:20 -0800
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        Anders Hagman <anders.hagman@netplex.se>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nat through two DSL

Anders Hagman wrote:

> I want to load share between two ADSL modems using a NAT/Firewall.
>
> Computer 1 \
>             \                                     /-- ADSL 1
>              \                                   /
> Computer 2 ------ Wireless LAN --- Firewall/NAT -
>     .        /                                   \
>     .       /                                     \-- ADSL 2
> Computer 10/
>
> The ADSL are 500k links and I want to load share on session by session.
> Can I do NAT between an inside interface and two outside interfaces
> acting in a round robin fashion?

This may not be the good idea you'd think on first glance. If one of the
paths has a slightly different RTT (and they're pretty much guaranteed
to), you'll see out-of-order delivery at the receiver. I remember seeing
some study that showed that TCP doesn't react too nicely under such
conditions (it works, but not at peak performance).

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/larse/              University of Southern California