Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:03:28 -0700
From:      "Robert Ramey" <ramey@rrsd.com>
To:        <julian@whistle.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Media GX question

I saw your post in the FreeBSD Mailing list about the MediaGX.

I am currently trying to get the the speakfree package to work on this
system.

I have been able to get the system to play *.au files out the speakers
using cat monkey.au >/dev/audio but when I run the program sfspeaker &  the
program quits is signal 11 - SIGSEGV Segmentation Fault - I believe.   The
same program doesn't exhibit that behavior on another system so I suspect
the mediaGX.

a) Do you have any suggestions about this?
b) Do you know if any of the CYRIX options in the LINT system kernel build
configuration file should be invoked? If so which ones?
c) Where do you get your info on the MediaGX.  The cyrix/national web site
is very superficial in my opinion.  Although the current system uses a
266mhz chip - I am very wary that that number is a useful basis of
comparison.  I am currious how the on board video using system dram slows
this down.   It looks like this system doesn't have any on chip cache.   Do
you have any information on this subject.
d) We are evaluatiing the usage of a mediaGX motherboard for an "emmbedded"
product.
e) So far I have managed to get FreeBSD working on this system quite
satisfactorily.   I only have 800x600 video working so far but thats good
enough for now.    This is the first problem that I have encountered in
which I suspect the mediaGX itself.
f) Does the implementation of media GX sound support full duplex? Does the
FreeBSD  SB sound driver support this?
g) Did you write your own BIOS or what.  My understanding of FreeBSD is
that the BIOS is not used except for settup the the cpu at boot time and
for a few specialized functions such as automatic powermanagement.

Thankyou for your help.

Robert Ramey