Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 1995 17:38:21 +0000
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
To:        julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert), freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: DEC Alpha Multia (fwd)

> I think a LITES/FreeBSD effort would be neat, then you could run the OSF1
> server as wel and FreeBSD and NetBSD  and other servers.. :)
>
> talking of such things..
>
> I've been thinking of adding a switch to allow
> environment usage when interetting symbolic links..
> (in namei/lookup)
> I see that LITES already has this..
> what it the thought on this?
>
> I like the idea of
> /usr/$OS/bin etc.
>
> julian

Well, Lites is slow and it needs work. As for the binary compatibility for
other OSes, NetBSD has proven that they can do that without running Mach.
Now if there is something else radically different which lites may offer
then I think is a good idea. Why am I saying this?
Well, we have gone thru several OS branches since the initial release
of 386BSD. It will be nice to settle on one to exploit the hell out
of the environment, for instance VR, Video, games, word processors, etc...
If we keep changing our OS platform, it makes it kind of though to
attract commercial products.

On my opinion, the best thing that Mach has going for it is the
current SMP work being done.

Amancio, who once hacked his brains out on FreeBSD-1.1.5 for months without
a single crash....