Date:      Wed, 12 May 2004 13:42:39 +0200
From:      "Thomas" <tompad@tin.it>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>

Hi there: my name is Thomas and I'm a complete FreeBSD newbie, a =
nightmare for you, I guess... I'm trying to install your last version of =
FBSD but I keep on encountering a problem which 15 years spent with DOS =
and Windows don't help me to solve: at a point during installation I'm =
told roughly what follows

warning: a geometry of 77578/16/63 for ad0 is incorrect......... use the =
(G)eometry command......

you need to enter whatever your Bios thinks the geometry is! For IDE =
it's what you were told in the Bios setup.............

well, the Bios tells me my disk is cyl 19166 h 16 sect 255, so I tried =
to enter these values using the G command, but it didn't work, the =
message above appeared again (with the new values). My disk is a simple =
40Gb Maxtor and the Bios appears to read it correctly...=20

Could you please give me a hand? No hurry at all, of course, I'm just =
learning...

If you need more precise information about processor, RAM and so on, =
just let me know.

Thanks a lot

Thomas