Date:      Sat, 03 Jun 2006 20:35:50 +0000
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Assembler optimizations for libz

=D3=D5=C2=CF=D4=C1 03 =DE=C5=D2=D7=C5=CE=D8 2006 14:09, John Baldwin, =F7=
=C9 =CE=C1=D0=C9=D3=C1=CC=C9:
=3D Can you expand on the problem you have with inffast.S?

There exist both inffast.c and inffast.S. Although the latter
is in a directory, that is explicitly listed in the VPATH,
the former is picked up. I think, it should be the other
way around -- the current directory, that's always in the
VPATH implicitly, should be consulted last...

=46or this reason, I had to rename inffast.S to _inffast.S.

=3D Also, it might read better if the flow of the Makefile is
[...]
=3D That is, merge the two i386 sections into one section.

I'm quite confident, that I will NOT be able to pick the right
color for this structure. :-) I'll leave the perfection of the
Makefile to whoever commits it -- what's in it now works good
enough to demonstrate the benefit of the optimization...

Whoever gets to it, though, should add the amd64 implementation
too (posted in this thread). It is just the compression for now,
I'm still working on the inffast.S...

Thanks! Yours,

	-mi

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/96393