Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:15:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        Nightshifter <dinks@ckt.net>
Cc:        freebsd help <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Newbie help again! =/

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Nightshifter wrote:

> I tried to install and got lost when trying to
> select a partition
>
> Included is a .gif of the partitions I have
>
> After looking in fdisk and the install, I can't
> figure out which is which,
> and I am trying to avoid deleting windows, at
> least for now...

As far as I know, DOS partitions are different from FreeBSD partitions.
In FreeBSD terminology, we call DOS partitions as slices and there are at
most four slices.  Each slice can belong to different operating systems
such as NT, Linux, FreeBSD.  In a FreeBSD slice, you can have up to eight
partitions.  Some of the FreeBSD partitions are special (for swap for
example), others are for normal file systems.

You must understand these basics to go on.  I suggest you look at the
online tutorial at www.freebsd.org.  From information on disk partitions
used by DOS, www.pcguide.com should be a good source.

-Zhihui