Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 17:15:17 -0700
From:      "Jin Guojun [NCS]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>
To:        Yanek Korff <yanek@cigital.com>
Cc:        "'jhb@FreeBSD.org'" <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, "'groudier@free.fr'" <groudier@free.fr>, "'FreeBSD-hardware@freebsd.org'" <FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.org>, "'FreeBSD-SCSI@freebsd.org'" <FreeBSD-SCSI@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: SCSI controller & NIC problem - irq11

Yanek Korff wrote:

> Some troubleshooting I did last night:
>
> 1) Removed the 3com NIC & booted
> SCSI card still fails cache test.
> Noted IRQ of SCSI had changed to 12.
> Noted when the system tried to boot, it failed with a kernel trap & rebooted
> and
> came up fine the 2nd time. (this happened more later)
>
> 2) Removed the SCSI card, but left the 3com NIC in.
> NIC still not detected.

I remembered that the SCSI card is on board. Do I missed something?

> 3) Removed the PCI riser (64-bit, plugged into 64-bit PCI slot & drawing
> from adjacent slot too) in order to install 3com card into one of the 32 bit
> PCI slots (directly on the motherboard).  This required removing the metal
> bracket from the NIC.
> The NIC was detected and successfully configured.
>
> Rationale:
> 3com card must be plugged into motherboard directly because the riser
> supports only 64-bit PCI cards?

Some riser card can cause problem. But in this case, I think you may be
confused 64-bit v.s. 66MHz. The 32-bit card may only work under 33MHz
frequency. If your 64-bit PCI slot can detect your NIC PCI CLK, and set
its CLK to 33 MHz, the NIC should work.
I just tested a Intel 82559 NIC (32-bit/33MHz) on E7500 motherboard.
When nothing plugged into the slot, BIOS says it operates at 66MHz.
When Intel 82559 NIC plugged in, BIOS says it operated at 33MHz, and
the NIC works OK.
So, you should check the BIOS info during the boot time. 3COM card
may work little different.

> 4) Installed SCSI card into a Dell 2550 running FreeBSD4-STABLE.
> Same behavior as in colo hardware.  I do not have access to another server
> with 64-bit PCI that is not running FreeBSD (at least, not one I can shut
> down at will); I cannot test the card against other OSes drivers.
>
> Either the SCSI card is BAD, or the FreeBSD drivers do not yet support this
> version of the card (64 bit vs 32 bit)?  BTW, Jin/Gerard: BIOS says this
> card is 53C1000-66.

Since I do not have a 53c1000-66 card, I cannot verify what is wrong.
Maybe Gerard have some idea.

--
------------ Jin Guojun ----------- v --- j_guojun@lbl.gov ---
Distributed Systems Department		http://www.itg.lbl.gov/~jin