Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 16:11:59 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Tony Jago <tony@fit.qut.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug in NFS

Tony Jago wrote in message ID
<Pine.HPP.3.92.960618152050.29374D-100000@ice.fit.qut.edu.au>:

>  Hi there, I think I have found a bug in the 2.2-current nfs code. I am
>  exporting the /dev directory to a client but it seem that the minor
>  number of the devices are changed across the nfs mount.
>
>  On the server:
>   brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 0x00010002 Jun 19 00:32 /dev/wd0
>
>  On the client:
>   brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,   2 Jun 19 00:32 /dev/wd0
>
>  Thanks in advance for your help.

This is probably because NFS can't handle ``large'' major/minor
numbers (my guess is that they are truncated down to 8 bits for
encoding into the structure passed back and forth). Just like you
can't do 4.4BSD ``flags'' (see chflags(1)) over NFS.

(You have to remember that NFS v2 came about BEFORE people started
 needing lots of these ``new'' features, and it can't cope ... )

Gary