Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:41:14 -0500
From:      Duane Winner <duanewinner@att.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Slow boot when not plugged into network

Does anybody know of a workaround for this?

When I'm not connected to my ethernet network, it takes an extra 90
seconds to boot my FreeBSD laptop, as it hangs on this boot message
before timing out:

"Doing initial network setup: hostname"

I'm guessing it has something to do with DNS lookup and can't reach the
server(s), but I'm not sure.

I had a similar problem in the past when I used Debian, but never really
addressed it. For the most part, I can deal with it, but sometimes it is
embarrassing, like when I'm doing a presentation or something and
everybody is twiddling their thumbs while waiting for me.

Thanks for any advice.