Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 18:49:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        david.robison@fisglobal.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One or Four?

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Polytropon wrote:

> Why not add a selection to the installer, something like
> this:
>
> 	Partition scheme
> 	----------------
>
> 	[ ] all in one + swap
> 	    Create one partition containing all subtrees
> 	    plus one swap partition.
>
> 	[ ] separate partitioning + swap
> 	    Create /, /var, /tmp and /usr (including home)
> 	    partitions plus one swap partition.
>
> 	[ ] user-defined
> 	    Make your own partitioning selection manually.
>
> Of course, the default SIZES for second choice should be
> reasonable.

I like it. This, or something very similar, seems to me like the best
way to go.

I am not a professional sysadmin, but have been using FreeBSD since
2.2.6. FWIW, I prefer the multi-partition approach for all the reasons
already mentioned.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]