Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 2021 16:30:55 -0800
From:      Mark Millard via freebsd-git <freebsd-git@freebsd.org>
To:        Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-git@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cgit, ages and chronological order

On 2021-Nov-20, at 01:14, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2021-Nov-9, at 22:03, Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>> <https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/log/?qt=3Dgrep&q=3Dterminfo&h=3Dmain>, =
for example, is it normal for results to _not_ be in chronological =
order?
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/log/ lists.)
>=20
> Ones that do not follow parent-commit order (because of
> what is omitted): Those with,
>=20
> ?qt=3Dgrep?q=3DSOMETEXT
> ?qt=3Dauthor?q=3DSOMETEXT
> ?qt=3Dcommiter?q=3DSOMETEXT
>=20
> For those last 3, I gather you would like the display order to be by =
the
> Age order.

Well, those 3 are not complete coverage for cgit: Using
something like,

https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/log/sys/contrib/openzfs

also filters out parent-commit lines and will show things
that are not on a specific branch (at the time). An
example is:=20

Revert "Handle partial reads in zfs_read"

where on main the actual patch that covers the issue
shows up in:

zfs: merge openzfs/zfs@6c8f03232 (master) into main

instead and the branch's parent-commit sequencing does
not include the "Revert" one. (The "Revert" one was
a FreeBSD-local commit from what I can tell, pending
the actual openzfs fix.)

(The specific example page happens to show lines sorted
by Age currently. But this may be an accident.)

> I've not figured out what the crtieria is for the order currently =
displayed
> for these, with your specific example of
> https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/log/?qt=3Dgrep&q=3Dterminfo&h=3Dmain =
being
> a good example: The first line after the column title line being:
>=20
> * 	Remove parameter names from libzfs.h signatures	Nick Black	=
2020-01-09	1	-7/+7
>=20
> is far from obvious to me.
>=20
> (One thing I do not know is how reasonable it would be to sort search
> results that have a huge number of lines to make the end results be in
> Age order.)
>=20
> Notes:
>=20
> I may not have listed all forms of ?qt=3D????q=3D???? that match =
everything
> or a single subsequence of a parent-commit order vs. those that do not
> match such and so omit some partent-commits. Still, I hope the general
> point is clear.
>=20
> For this note, I'm ignoring the "time mismatch" issue. It appears that
> consideration of trying to avoid sizable mismatches is being made.
> (This would not fix already existing sizable mismatches, just prevent
> more.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com