Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:03:29 +0100
From:      WHS <wouters@cistron.nl>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   GGI's library is now also under X style license.

See above.

I'm going to start the port of KGI (the kernel arbitration of the video
hardware) to OpenBSD soon (time permitting).

None of the GGI developers are currently doing a KGI-FreeBSD port (these
port efforts seemed to have evaporated as I mentioned before..), so if
anyone wants to take up the challenge at this time, go ahead.

Btw, if you want to subscribe to the GGI list, be prepared for 50-100
mails a day.

Here's the message:

+++++++++++

Hi,

As all LibGGI contributors have now given their permission I am
now happily announcing that LibGGI can become truly free software.

The license will be changed from LGPL to the following (the same
that is already used for KGI)

------------------------------- begin
--------------------------------------
   Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
   copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
"Software"),
   to deal in the Software without restriction, including without
limitation
   the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute,
sublicense,
   and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
   Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

   The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
included in
   all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

   THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR
   IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY,
   FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT
SHALL
   THE AUTHOR(S) BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
WHETHER
   IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR
IN
   CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.
------------------------------- end

There was a debate some time ago about whether you can relicense this
under (L)GPL. I can now tell you that this is really the case. But to
really clear all doubts we will also explicitly allow relicensing
under GPL and LGPL.

So, what does this mean?
For most people - nothing. If you prefer a LGPLed library just
relicense LibGGI to yourself under LGPL.
For the BSD people - LibGGI is now really free, and you are welcome
to use and/or help us with LibGGI.

It does have some implications when it comes to sharing code with
other projects which are under a GNU license. The other projects
can use our code just fine, but the opposite is not true.
Here we have two solutions:
a) The other project appreciates LibGGI so much that they allow
   us to incorporate parts of their code under the above MIT-style
   license.
b) The other project doesn't care or know about LibGGI, or are
   GNU fanatics. In this case we can still use use their code, but
   it has to be distributed separately from the MIT-style code.
   (Note that nothing stops anyone from merging it together and
   distribute the whole resulting thing under GPL or LGPL)

LibGG, LibGII and the SVGAlib wrapper will also use the above
license.

As for LibGWT, and LibGGI2D and LibGGI3D we have some additional
contributors who's position in this question is not known to me
at this point, but I hope that we can make those libraries really
free too.

Now, there's only one small problem left - how do we change the
license notices of all files with the least work? ;)
Can sed handle replacing blocks of multiple lines?

//Marcus
        Marcus Sundberg        | http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/
       Stockholm, Sweden       |   E-Mail: mackan@stacken.kth.se