Date:      Wed, 9 Mar 2016 13:29:10 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help needed to re-connect FreeBSD to internet

Hi,

I am using a dual-boot machine Windows XP SP3 and FreeBSD 10.2 amd64,
using a Wi-Fi modem connected to the PC with a LAN cable. Till a couple
of days back, the systems had no issue connecting to internet and the
world seemed rosy. All of a sudden, yesterday disaster struck and
neither was able open up any site in the web browser.

Help from the service provider got the Windows system working again. I
enabled Internet Connection Sharing and replaced DHCP with 192.168.10.3
for the PC and 192.168.10.1 for the Wi-Fi modem (default_router). While
the Windows connects to the internet now, the FreeBSD box remains stuck
with roughly those same settings.

ifconfig re0 :
re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>

     ether 50:46:5d:66:fd:10
     inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
     nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
     status: active

pinging 192.168.1.1 produces 'no route to host' and 100.0% packet loss.
At boot-time, the system seems to attempt getting a DHCP lease multiple
times without success.

cat /etc/resolv.conf :

nameserver 192.168.1.1

cat /etc/rc.conf :

hostname="freebsd10dot2.amd64.local"
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
sshd_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"
keyrate="fast"
apcupsd_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"
linux_enable="YES"
mysql_enable="YES"
fusefs_enable="YES"
atapicam_load="YES"
cupsd_enable="NO"

Can someone please point me to what might be the error/changes needed
for my FreeBSD box to connect to internet again ? Thank you.

--
Regards,

Manish Jain

--