Date:      28 Dec 2001 00:50:48 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Subject:   Re: tcpd not installed on 4.5-PRERELEASE

Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> writes:

> > I might have a different super-server than FreeBSD's inetd (tcpserver
> > from DJB's ucspi-tcp!), or I might want to run a service without libwrap
> > for efficiency reasons -- in that case, I'd have to run tcpd explicitly
> > for the other services.
>
> IMO, that's why we have the tcp_wrapper port.

One more followup: I cannot understand this decision.

Situation:

1. a mutilated version of tcp_wrappers has been merged into the base
   system

2. the port refuses to build because tcp_wrappers (tcpd.h, actually) is
   part of the base system

Why cannot either tcp_wrappers be fully merged OR the ports tree allow
the build and warn instead? That's mind-bogglingly inconvenient.

What's so important about leaving out tcpd and forbidding the port at
the same time?

Everything of tcp_wrappers is there, except this tiny tcpd program (size
2549 Bytes, 6123 on-disk) and its man page.

Sure, inetd -wW gets along well without it, unless I want a service
without tcp_wrappers -- Oops. If I want hosts.allow for tcpserver or
something, I need to meddle with the ports stuff to be able to use
tcpd. This needs fixing.

--
Matthias Andree

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin