Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 14:42:16 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: APM

--bCsyhTFzCvuiizWE

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 04:28:33PM -0600, Andrew Hesford wrote:
> I want to be able to use `shutdown -p now` to turn my machine off.
> However, it does not work. At first, I had no apm device in the kernel,
> so I added (from GENERIC):
>=20
> device	apm0	at nexus? disable flags 0x20
>=20
> This still did not work, so I tried each of the following, one at a
> time:
>=20
> device apm0
> device apm0 at nexus?
> device apm0 at nexus? flags 0x20

This last one is the right one for most people.

> In all three cases, the kernel locks up right after it loads the md
> driver, which I gather means it is trying to load the apm driver. Once I
> tried this with debugging symbols, and ddb, and anything else I could
> think of, but nothing works. It just freezes completely.
>=20
> I have a Dell Dimension L733r with a Phoenix (I believe) BIOS, revision
> A07. The system includes the i810 chipset.

Given that it's a desktop system, it's quite likey you have a screwed
APM BIOS since they don't put much (read any) work into testing APM on
desktops.  You might try a BIOS upgrade.  You should also veryify that
APM is really on in the BIOS.  I've certaintly seen services (usually
PS/2 mice) probe while disabled.

> Has anybody gotten APM to work on a similar machine? What good does the
> disable flag do? It seems to just disable apm, which is pointless,
> because I can just as easily remove the device line. Finally, is there
> any other way to get `shutdown -p` working like I want it to?

The disable flag disables APM.  It's there becase many systems like
your's hang if APM is used, but some people want to just use userconfig
to enable APM with their GENERIC kernel rather then recompiling.  I
don't know of any other way to get shutdown -p to work, unfortunatly.

-- Brooks

--=20

--bCsyhTFzCvuiizWE

--bCsyhTFzCvuiizWE--