Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:15:40 -0400
From:      "Alan Tang" <nonfemett@worldnet.att.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   can't boot from the 2nd partition on second disk

Hello there:

I'm having problem booting (automatically) into FreeBSD 2.2.6 installed on
my second disk's second partition:

Primary Master:		250MB  DOS-FAT16
			3.2 GB  NT 4.0 NTFS
Secondary Master:	1.2 GB  NTFS
			347 MB FreeBSD 2.2.6
Secondary Slave:	CD-ROM Drive

I can use FreeBSD boot manager (or third party boot manager) to boot from
second disk, on which I also installed FreeBSD boot manager. What happens
is: I press F5 to get into second disk, and press F2 to boot second
partition. But FreeBSD boot from 1:wd(1,a)kernel, which doesn't work, after
hardware probing, it says can't mount root disk and then reboot. The only
way to make it work is after pressing F2, at boot: prompt, manually typing
1:wd(2,a)kernel.

What is 1:wd(1,a)? Why can I only boot 1:wd(2,a)kernel? Do I have to
install FreeBSD on the first partition?

Could someony please let me know?

Thanks.
Alan