Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 11:12:52 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, qa@FreeBSD.ORG, taguchi@tohoku.iij.ad.jp
Subject:   Re: Making XFree86-4 the default

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 10:10:27AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> I can't address the bugginess issues, except to say that they don't
> seem to be biting me.

Same here... happily running XFree86 4 since way-back around 3.9.16 :-)
with multiple monitors. First with multiple Matrox Millenium II cards,
then since the `Linux' driver was released by Matrox I've been using the
G400 Dual-Head.  Oh, also on my laptop (Neomagic) -- both using Type 1
and TrueType font support that is built-in.  Also I'm using OpenGL + the
Mesa port quite happily, though I haven't tried the tdfx stuff with my
Voodoo2 card yet.

I've not found XFree86 4 any more buggy than any other X server.  Modulo
setuid paranoia and possible card support, there seems to be no reason
to use XFree86 3.
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org