Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:46:11 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NAMESERVER Setup Problems

On Thu, Sep 18, 1997 at 10:05:04PM -0700, David Greenman wrote:

>>> Thats interesting, the SOA for who.cdrom.com uses these same times.
>>
>> So it does.  It doesn't make it right.
>
>    Wrong. Not only is the refresh number not too short, but in fact it should
> probably be even shorter - 3 hours is a rather long time between serial number
> checks. Paul Vixie recently suggested that this should be on the order of 30
> minutes or less.

I disagree compeletely.  This just creates unneccessary network
traffic.  The refresh time should reflect the frequency of your
configuration changes.  Most systems don't change their DNS
configuration significantly more than once a month, and usually it's
planned.

Of course, the *correct* way to do it would be to find a way to inform
systems which have queried the zone in the previous <refresh> seconds.

Greg