Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 19:37:42 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>, j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: moving to XFree86-4

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:39:48AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
> > Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 09:51:42 -0400
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > Not all graphic cards are compatible.
>
> If I am to believe the XFree86 device support web page for V4.1, all
> devices which had support in 3.3.6 are supported in 4.1 with the
> exception of the nVidia 1 based cards.

No, according to that page ( http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status.html )
there are several older cards that are supported in 3.3.6 but not in
4.1.0
On the other hand some of the newer cards are only supported in 4.1.0
but not in 3.3.6.

> I think it's about time to drop 3.3.6 as the "standard" X server and
> go with 4.1. (I do miss XF86setup, though!)

Maybe.  Either way some people will have graphic cards that are not
supported. If you go with 3.3.6 the people affected will primarily be those
with new, state-of-the-art cards. (GeForce3 cards come to mind.)
With 4.1.0 the people losing are those with somewhat older computers.

The best solution is probably to include both 3.3.6 and 4.1.0 and give
users the option to choose which one they want to install.
(This is of course the option which requires the most work for
everybody involved :-\ )

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson