Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 10:42:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any interest in GPS NTP servers ?  (fwd)

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Nick Hibma wrote:

> > :Trimble is selling a gps kit that can be used to create a Stratum 1
> > :GPS referenced NTP server.
> > :
> > :Qty 1 cost is  $995
> > :Qty 10 cost is $525

Actually their developer's kit is significantly cheaper; and you can use
the CM boards quite easily with xntpd after you have programmed them to
output the right NMEA strings using the supplied DOS taps config
application.

If you need more details; let me know. We can program them here. It might
be an idea to just program a batch :-)

> > :Are there 9 other people interested out there ? I'd like to try & put
> > :together a group purchase.
> >
> >     I am not particularly impressed with Trimble equipment.  I
> >     think you can probably find something better if you are
> >     really interested in it.  Also, A Qty 1 cost of $1K is
> >     pretty high for a GPS these days.

At home I quite happyly use a cheap DeLorme GPS connected to xntpd
and it just works and works and works :-) I did modify the serial
output port though; to get a 5v signal on the RI; which the DeLorme
unit can use instead of its batteries.

But then again; these things both output serial NMEA, no proper
ethernet; and no easy to use PPS signal unless you solder something.

Dw.