Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:20:28 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jimmy Lantz <jimmy.lantz@lusidor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fBSD 4.6 - Turn back time? I'm on a timemachine!

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 04:06:13PM +0200, Jimmy Lantz wrote:
> Hi,
>  I have a problem with my FreeBSD box,
> It's present time is way in the future, how can I force this to be current
> time, I've tried adding this to rc.conf , and yes I've set the time zone.
>
> ntpdate_enable="YES"
> ntpdate_program="ntpdate"
> ntpdate_flags="-bs ntp1.sp.se ntp2.sp.se"

NTP, at least in it's guise as ntpd, will just give up if the system
clock is a long way off.  Not sure about ntpdate...

> But still:
>
> foobar# time
> 0.374u 0.112s 2:30:50.00 0.0%   362+988k 2+0io 5pf+0w

The 'time' command has nothing to do with the time-of-day: it shows
you how much time a process took to run.

> foobar# date
> Ons 20 Aug 2003 23:32:48 CEST

Just use the 'date' command to get the clock in the right ballpark ---
within a minute or so should be fine, and then try ntpdate again:

    date 200208201514
    ntpdate -bs ntp1.sp.se ntp2.sp.se

Look at using ntpd to keep the clock accurate automatically while the
system is running --- it's a lot more effective than running ntpdate
every so often, although running ntpdate once immediately on boot up
and then starting ntpd usually gives the best results.

	Cheers,

	Matthew.

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK