Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:45:46 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ultra 1: upgrade OpenBoot?

Background: I have several i386 FreeBSD machines, and some years of
experience with them. I also have an old Sun Ultra 1E, but not a lot of
experience with Sun hardware. I also have no experience at all with
SunOS or Solaris.

How do I upgrade OpenBoot on a Ultra 1 which have
- FreeBSD installed on disk (and nothing else)
- a cd rom
- no floppy

I found this patch:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/printfriendly.do?assetkey=1-21-104288-09-1

And it describes various methods. I tried theone where the patch is
copied to the root partition on the disk. I tried to boot that file (the
patch), both from the OBP prompt, and from FreeBSD's boot loader.
Neither worked.

The documents with the patch also describes tthat you can boot a cd rom
(if you have the patch on a bootable cd rom), but I haven't found out
how to create such a cd rom.

The last one is the network boot method. It seems to be missing detailed
info about what things I need to set up on a FreeBSD machine in order
for the Ultra 1 to boot the patch over the network.

Any help appreciated.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway