Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 00:04:40 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restore Woes

Hi,

If the backup is on just one tape just enter 1.

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 12:03:54PM -0700, keith@mail.telestream.com wrote:
> I can't seem to pull any files off of tape. Here is the session as it
> happens. It always tells me I've not read any tapes. I'd love to hear how
> to get this to work properly. I've made a couple of #comments in the
> output that I pasted here.
> I'm doing everthing according to how it's detailed in this URL.
>
> http://www.execpc.com/~hamiltj/docs/dump.html#ch-6
>
> The tape volumes are laid out like this
> /     volume 1
> /usr  volume 2
> /home volume 3
>
> Snip-------------------------
>
> # mt -f /dev/nrsa0 fsf 2   #On the tape server to move up 2 volumes to 3.

I normally refer to these as partitions or files on the tape. A volume might be
the whole tape. The backup can span more than one tape/volume.

> #  restore -i -f tape.telestream.com:/dev/nrsa0   #On machine restoring.
>

> restore > ls
> .:
>  activedog/        firstorder/       mikesg/           singtech/
>  air-balancing/    get-informed/     msdevine/         spicy/
>  amber/            gillespiedecals/  msdevine2/        spivey/
>  angledetailing/   gnreynholds/      mysticalfate/     stmcdowell/
>  band-trouble/     grant/            nwfyrmedyk/       tsbilling/
>  bestbitesbuys/    jat/              procyon/          victor/
>  cascade/          keith/            proto/            wbean/
>  cwi/              kesat/            robinson/         william/
>  cydoniacc/        macrosoft/        seti/
>  deeh/             matiax/           shad/
>  eu4ic/            mcferran/         shawncwi1/
>
> restore > add victor
> restore > extract
> You have not read any tapes yet.
> Unless you know which volume your file(s) are on you should start
> with the last volume and work towards the first.
> Specify next volume #: 3   #Don't know if this is correct.
> Mount tape volume 3
> Enter ``none'' if there are no more tapes
> otherwise enter tape name (default: /dev/nrsa0)  #What to enter ?
>
> Snip-----------------------
>

> Thanks
> Keith
>

> =================================
> Keith W.
> At the helm <for better or worse>
>
> My non work related site
> www.cydonia.net

Best Regards
Willem Brown
--
 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

A truly wise woman never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.