Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 19:02:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Steve Passe <smp@ilsa.systemsix.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMI Merlin DP Motherboard

>Unless I'm totaly confused (very likely!), the AMI Merlin DP is PCI based.

it could be both PCI and EISA, ie PCI/EISA, whil Im suggesting it is desirable
to get PCI/ISA.  Im not trying to start a religious war here, just pointing
out the differences.  If you have NO EISA crds why put up with
the limitations (primarily 4 less INT sources) of the EISA bus.  If you
do have EISA cards you want to re-use, and don't have an INT crunch,
then EISA should work fine.  Note that I have seen at least 1 PCI/ISA
board that still requires "mixwd-mode" even though not an EISA board.
And not all PCI/ISA boards take advantage of the upper  APIC INTS
(16-23).  you really need to do your homework here.

>Can someone explain why the P5 works by P6 does not?

If we knew we could probably fix it!!!  we have theories BUT we don't
know for sure... search the mail list for "TLB shootdown" for the
discussions.